Ursuline Academy founded in Dallas
On this date in 1874, the Ursuline Sisters started their academy in Dallas. The Ursulines, founded in Italy in 1535, came to Quebec in 1639, New Orleans in 1727, Galveston in 1847, and San Antonio in 1851. Their academies welcome girls of all denominations without regard for race, color, or national or ethnic origin. The original school in Dallas, in a four-room building on Bryan Street, opened with seven students. The academy, now located in Preston Hollow, is the oldest continuously operated Catholic school in Dallas.