Oldest active missionary Baptist church in Texas organized
On this day in 1838, the oldest active missionary Baptist church in Texas was organized north of Nacogdoches. It was originally called Union Baptist Church because settlers from various religious denominations made up the first congregation, but was later renamed the Old North Baptist Church. The church was officially organized at a meeting at Liberty School House when ministers Isaac Reed and Robert G. Green preached and invited people with church letters who wanted to constitute a church to come forward. John and Betsy Eaton, Charles Whitaker, Sarah Tipps, Mary Crain, Emily Knight, Ruth Anderson, and Anthony and Chancy, the last two slaves, came forward. Twenty people were baptized at the church in June and July; these were the first Baptist baptisms in East Texas. In 1839 the Texas Woman's Missionary Union, the first Baptist women's group in Texas, was organized at the church. The congregation met in the school house until 1852, when a frame building was constructed on the same foundation.