Gulf Coast promoter and inventor dies
On this day in 1893, George Ware Fulton, founder of the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company, died. Fulton, born in Philadelphia in 1810, first came to Texas in 1837 and served in the Army of the Republic. In 1840 he married Harriet G. Smith, the daughter of friend and politician Henry Smith. Fulton acquired Smith’s land after his death, and between that property and additional grants and purchases owned some 25,000 acres in the Aransas Bay area on the Texas Gulf Coast. He founded the town of Fulton and helped organize the Coleman, Mathis, Fulton Cattle Company in 1871 (which became the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company in 1879). Fulton was a skilled engineer, surveyor, inventor, and businessman and received a patent for shipping beef under artificial cooling. His mansion, built in Fulton, featured indoor plumbing and ventilation and food preservation systems—advanced marvels for that day. Fulton promoted the development of the area and laid out the towns of Sinton, Gregory, and Portland. He was also a strong advocate for the construction of a deepwater port on the Texas Coast.