Historic Frontier Echo publishes first edition
On this day in 1875, the Frontier Echo, a newspaper that followed cattlemen as they advanced the ranching frontier of West Texas, was first issued in Jacksboro, with R. Chandler as publisher and H. H. McConnell as editor. George W. Robson, a former sea captain, bought the Echo in December 1875 and with advance of the cattle frontier moved the plant to Fort Griffin, where, on January 4, 1879, it appeared as the Fort Griffin Echo. Three years later the frontier had marched west again. After a period of non-publication during the illness of the editor, the newspaper followed. It reappeared in Albany on January 6, 1883, as the Albany Echo. After about a year it was merged with the Albany Star to become the Albany News, which has retained the files of the early Echo.