East Texas lake completed
On this day in 1965 the deliberate impoundment of water began at Sam Rayburn Reservoir. The reservoir is dammed eighty miles north of Beaumont, is fed by the Angelina River, and covers part of Jasper, Angelina, Sabine, Nacogdoches, and San Augustine counties. Construction began on September 7, 1956. The reservoir's name was changed from McGee Bend to Sam Rayburn, in honor of the congressional leader, in 1963. The dam serves two hydroelectric plants. The lake has a drainage area of 3,449 square miles. It is a favorite resort destination for East Texans.