Muleshoe Ranch brand registered
On this day in 1860, cattleman Henry Black registered the Muleshoe brand in Fannin County, though he may have used it as early as 1856. At least six other Texas ranches have registered and used a muleshoe brand in various forms (typically an inverted U shape). Black served in the Confederate Army, and returned after the Civil War to find that his home had burned and his wife had died. He remarried and began fording herds across the Red River and selling clothing made by his second wife. By 1877 their herd had outgrown their property, so the family moved to Stephens County, taking with them 1,000 cattle and 500 horses. Black purchased land and established the Muleshoe Ranch, where his descendants were still using the brand a hundred years later.