Boles Home opens its doors
On this day in 1924, Boles Orphans' Home, now called Boles Children's Home, received its first ten orphans. The institution is one of the largest children's homes supported and maintained by the Church of Christ. Supporters William Foster and Mary Barnhart Boles donated 436 acres of land near Quinlan to the Church of Christ in 1923 and requested that the church make improvements to the site at a value of at least $10,000 before January 1, 1925. Through the efforts of church officials of the Pearl and Brown Street Church of Christ in Dallas, and under the direction of A. O. Colley, the money was collected. By the year 2000 the home had assisted over 19,000 children.