First air-conditioned building west of the Mississippi?
On this day in 1912, philanthropist Frances Lutcher dedicated the First Presbyterian Church in Orange in honor of the family of her husband, lumberman Henry J. Lutcher, whom she had married in 1858. This magnificent marble structure was reputedly the first structure west of the Mississippi River to have air conditioning. Henry J. Lutcher died in October 1912. In 1921 his widow dedicated the Frances Ann Lutcher Hospital, the first modern hospital in Orange. She died three years later.