War effort proceeds as huge Texas base is activated
On this date in 1942, Camp Hood was activated. The temporary camp, named for Confederate general John Bell Hood, is now one of the largest military bases in the world. It was officially opened on September 14, 1942, and has since been continuously used for armored training. By 1950 it was made a permanent base and renamed Fort Hood. Units from Hood have contributed significantly to all important overseas United States military actions since 1942. The installation, the largest piece of Texas owned solely by the federal government, has also been critically important economically and socially in the Killeen area.