West Texas townsite company sells more than 200 lots despite sandstorm
On this day in 1924, the Anton Townsite Company sponsored a "Grand Opening Jubilee" despite a blinding sandstorm and succeeded in selling more than 200 lots in the new town of Anton, Texas. Like many other Texas towns and cities, Anton, in Hockley County about twenty-five miles northwest of Lubbock, traces its origin to the arrival of the railroad, which fixed Texas urban development in a spatial pattern that remains little altered today. Anton was located in the center of what had been the Spade Ranch's north pasture at the site of Danforth Switch, a spur of the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway. The town was named in honor of J. F. Anton, a Santa Fe railroad executive. By 1926 several churches had been established; by 1929 the town had a bank. Grain, cotton, and later oil were central to the economy. The town, which bills itself as the "Rabbit Capital of Texas," also had a large rabbit-processing plant for a time, though by 1982 it had closed down. In 1998 the town's population was estimated at 1,254.