Higher education comes to vast Big Bend region
On this date in 1920, Sul Ross State Normal College, the future Sul Ross State University, began operations. The school, located at Alpine in Brewster County, was authorized by the Thirty-fifth Legislature in 1917. Sixty-seven students enrolled in the first class. They studied education and liberal arts subjects leading to teacher's certificates and junior college diplomas. The institution was renamed Sul Ross State Teachers College in 1925, the year the first bachelor's degree was awarded. In 1945, when the curriculum had expanded, enrollment had increased, and more facilities had been constructed, the name was changed to Sul Ross State College. In 1969 the college became Sul Ross State University.