On this day in 1836, Samuel Colt, of Hartford, Connecticut, patented the Colt revolver. This invention, along with windmills and barbed wire, brought order to the Great Plains. It was eventually produced in numerous models, the most famous being that of 1871. In 1839 the Republic of Texas ordered 180 of the .36 caliber holster models for the Texas Navy. The Texas Rangers gave the Colt revolver its reputation as a weapon ideally suited for mounted combat. Frederick Law Olmsted remarked that "there were probably as many revolvers in Texas as there were males."
On this day in 1800, Jean Marie Odin was born in Hauteville, France. While a student at a Sulpician seminary in Lyon, he volunteered to serve in the American Diocese of Louisiana and the Floridas. After arriving at New Orleans in 1822, Odin continued his religious education at a seminary in Missouri, where he was ordained in 1823. In 1825 he took vows as a priest of the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentian Fathers). In order to rebuild the church in Texas after its decline with the secularization of the missions (1794-1830) and the Texas Revolution, the Holy See in 1839 established the Prefecture Apostolic of Texas and placed it under the care of the Vincentians. The newly named apostolic prefect, Father John Timon, appointed Odin as vice prefect apostolic. Odin arrived in Texas in 1840 and for the next two decades worked tirelessly; his efforts produced such outstanding results that he has been acclaimed the founder of the modern Catholic Church in Texas. In 1847 Pope Pius IX established the Diocese of Galveston, which encompassed all of Texas, and named Odin the new diocese's first ordinary. Odin's career in Texas ended in 1861, when he became the ordinary of the Archdiocese of New Orleans. Odin died in France in 1870 after becoming ill at the First Vatican Council.
On this day in 1942, Trinity University moved from Waxahachie to San Antonio. Trinity had opened as a Cumberland Presbyterian college in 1869 in Tehuacana and moved to Waxahachie in 1902. Forty years later, the Synod of Texas voted to accept an invitation from the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce to move the university to the Alamo City. The Southwest Texas Conference of the Methodist Church and the board of trustees of the University of San Antonio transferred the property of the University of San Antonio to the board of trustees of Trinity University. In 1952 Trinity moved to a new campus, designed by O'Neil Ford and Bartlett Cocke, on the north side of San Antonio. Trinity served a full century as "the college of the Synod of Texas," first of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and, after 1906, of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America. One hundred years after its founding, in 1969, the university and the synod adopted a covenant that dissolved the legal ties between the two.