Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

OROZIMBO PLANTATION

OROZIMBO PLANTATION. Orozimbo (Orizimbo, Orazimbo) Plantation, nine miles northwest of Angleton in west central Brazoria County, was the home of James Aeneas E. Phelps, who received his grant of land in 1824 and, according to some sources, named it for an Indian chief. The cotton plantation flourished from colonial times until the Civil War. Phelps built a two-story house near an oak that still stood in 1990. Antonio López de Santa Anna was held as a prisoner of war at Orozimbo Plantation from July until November 1836. In 1842 Santa Anna saved Phelps's son Orlando, a Mier expedition member, from execution and returned him to Texas with $500 in gold. Some sources claim that for years after Santa Anna's release he sent presents to the Phelps family at Christmas, usually fine bedspreads. Mail service from San Felipe to Velasco through Orozimbo began in 1835, was discontinued in 1843, was reestablished in 1845, and may have operated as late as 1847. The Phelps house was destroyed by a hurricane in 1932, and by 1936 only a cottage made from the original timbers occupied by a black farmer remained at the plantation site.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975). Abner J. Strobel, The Old Plantations and Their Owners of Brazoria County (Houston, 1926; rev. ed., Houston: Bowman and Ross, 1930; rpt., Austin: Shelby, 1980). Amelia Williams and Bernhardt Wall, Following General Sam Houston from 1793 to 1863 (Austin: Steck, 1935).

Diana J. Kleiner

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Diana J. Kleiner, "OROZIMBO PLANTATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/aco01), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.