ROBERTSON PLANTATION. The Robertson Plantation, located west of Salado in Bell County, was built between 1856 and 1860 by Elijah Sterling Clack Robertson. In the early 1990s it was a rare example of an antebellum Texas plantation complex, including the house, slave quarters, land, family cemetery, and stables, and was still a working ranch. The plantation house was built in the Classical Revival style and shows Palladian influence in its recessed porches and gallery rooms, which form terminal pavilions balancing a central gabled portico. The plantation was listed in the Historic American Buildings Survey of 1936, received a Texas Centennial marker that same year, and became a Texas historic landmark in 1967. It was also in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. James Wright Steely, comp., A Catalog of Texas Properties in the National Register of Historic Places (Austin: Texas Historical Commission, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "ROBERTSON PLANTATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/acr02), accessed September 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.