DALLAS ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
DALLAS ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY. The Dallas Archeological Society was started in 1936 as a study group interested in the geology, paleontology, and archeology of the Dallas area. It had no formal organization until 1940, when the group decided to concentrate on archeology. A constitution and bylaws were adopted, officers elected, and the present name selected. The purpose of the organization is to bring together persons interested in the prehistory of the area for the purpose of systematic study, scientific investigation, and publication of relevant material. Membership is open to anyone interested in archeology. The society had a charter membership of thirteen. Activities of the society include archeological investigation of historic and prehistoric sites, regular meetings, and publication of a newsletter. In addition to sponsoring excavations and reconnaissance, the society cooperates with educational institutions, museums, and government agencies in surveying and recording sites affected by construction, flooding, or agricultural operations. The society newsletter, the Record, began publication in 1939; it announces the activities of the members and publishes scientific papers of interest to them.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Archeology).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul Lorrain, "DALLAS ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bad01), accessed September 14, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.