Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

GUEIQUESALE INDIANS

GUEIQUESALE INDIANS. The Gueiquesale (Guyquechale, Cotzale, Guisole, Heyquetzale, Huisocale, Quesal, Quisole) Indians were one of the dominant bands of Coahuila Indians during the last half of the seventeenth century. At times they crossed the Rio Grande to hunt and forage for wild plant foods in the southwestern part of the Edwards Plateau. In 1675 the Bosque-Larios expedition that penetrated Texas north of the site of present Eagle Pass was accompanied by Gueiquesale warriors and also encountered other Gueiquesales beyond the Rio Grande. The Gueiquesales entered several missions in Coahuila but not in Texas. Although it has been commonly assumed that the Gueiquesales spoke a Coahuiltecan language, J. D. Forbes has recently objected to this linguistic identification. He prefers to leave their language unidentified. Geie (or Geies), the name of an early eighteenth-century group of the same area, may be a shortened form of Gueiquesale.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Vito Alessio Robles, Coahuila y Texas en la época colonial (Mexico City: Editorial Cultura, 1938; 2d ed., Mexico City: Editorial Porrúa, 1978). Herbert Eugene Bolton, ed., Spanish Exploration in the Southwest, 1542–1706 (New York: Scribner, 1908; rpt., New York: Barnes and Noble, 1959). Jack D. Forbes, "Unknown Athapaskans: The Identification of the Jano, Jocome, Jumano, Manso, Suma, and Other Indian Tribes of the Southwest," Ethnohistory 6 (Spring 1959). Francis Borgia Steck, "Forerunners of Captain de León's Expedition to Texas, 1670–1675," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 36 (July 1932). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940).

Thomas N. Campbell

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas N. Campbell, "GUEIQUESALE INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmg12), accessed December 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.