Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

NECHAUI INDIANS

NECHAUI INDIANS. The Nechaui (Nechavi) Indians are known only from the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, during which time they were listed as one of the Caddoan-speaking tribes of the southwestern or Hasinai division. Their principal village was on the Neches River, apparently in what is now southern Cherokee County. As their name is similar to the Hasinai name for the Neches River (Nachawi, "Osage orange"), it may be that the Nechaui Indians were a more southerly group of Neche Indians. Sometime in the eighteenth century the Nechauis seem to have been absorbed by one or more neighboring Hasinai tribes.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Herbert E. Bolton, "The Native Tribes about the East Texas Missions," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 11 (April 1908). Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). John R. Swanton, Source Material on the History and Ethnology of the Caddo Indians (Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin 132, Washington: GPO, 1942).

Thomas N. Campbell

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas N. Campbell, "NECHAUI INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmn19), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.