PINIQUU INDIANS. In the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries the Piniquu Indians seem to have ranged both sides of the Rio Grande in northeastern Coahuila and the adjoining part of Texas. They were represented at San Francisco Solano Mission in northeastern Coahuila in 1704. It is inferred that the Piniquus spoke a Coahuiltecan dialect, since nearly all of their associates in this mission were Coahuiltecans. Although Herbert E. Bolton (in Hodge) indicates that some Piniquu Indians were at San Antonio de Valero Mission of San Antonio, this may be an error. In 1718 San Francisco Solano was moved from Coahuila to San Antonio, where it became known as San Antonio de Valero. The Solano records were incorporated into the Valero records, leading to some confusion about the Indian groups associated with each phase of the mission's history. Bolton also equates the Minicaus with the Piniquus, but this is very debatable.
Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas N. Campbell, "PINIQUU INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmp70), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.