Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

POMULUM INDIANS

POMULUM INDIANS. In the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries the Pomulum (Pamulam, Pamuli, Pomuluma) Indians ranged an area on both sides of the Rio Grande between present Eagle Pass and Laredo. In 1708 they were reported on the Rio Grande with eight other groups, all said to speak the same language, unquestionably Coahuiltecan. The Pomulum Indians entered several missions in or near this area-San Bernardo in northeastern Coahuila, sometime after 1703; Santa María de los Dolores de la Punta, near present Lampazos, Nuevo León; and San Miguel de Aguayo at Monclova, Coahuila, where they were reported as late as 1762. They seem never to have entered the missions of southern Texas.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). P. Otto Maas, ed., Viajes de Misioneros Franciscanos a la conquista del Nuevo México (Seville: Imprenta de San Antonio, 1915). J. A. Morfi, Viaje de indios y diario del Nuevo México (Mexico City: Bibliofilo Mexicanos, 1935). Esteban L. Portillo, Apuntes para la historia antigua de Coahuila y Texas (Saltillo: Tipografía "El Golfo de México" de Severo Fernández, 1886). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940). Robert S. Weddle, San Juan Bautista: Gateway to Spanish Texas (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1968).

Thomas N. Campbell

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas N. Campbell, "POMULUM INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmp80), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.