PULIQUE INDIANS. The Pulique (Puilque, Pulica) Indians are known mainly from the first half of the eighteenth century, when they lived in the village of San Antonio de los Puliques on the south bank of the Rio Grande below the site of modern Presidio. In the late seventeenth century they were listed among "nations" that lived north of the Rio Grande in the same area. The identity of the Pulique Indians is not clear, but some writers have identified them as a branch of the Concho Indians. In the late eighteenth century the Puliques seem to have been absorbed by the Spanish-speaking population of northern Chihuahua.
Charles W. Hackett, ed., Historical Documents Relating to New Mexico, Nueva Vizcaya, and Approaches Thereto, to 1773 (3 vols., Washington: Carnegie Institution, 1923–37). J. Charles Kelley, "Factors Involved in the Abandonment of Certain Peripheral Southwestern Settlements," American Anthropologist 54 (July-September 1952). J. Charles Kelley, "The Historic Indian Pueblos of La Junta de Los Rios," New Mexico Historical Review 27, 28 (October 1952, January 1953). Cyrus Thomas and John R. Swanton, Indian Languages of Mexico and Central America and Their Geographical Distribution (Washington: GPO, 1911).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas N. Campbell, "PULIQUE INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmp92), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.