Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

TINAPIHUAYA INDIANS

TINAPIHUAYA INDIANS. The Tinapihuaya (Tinipijuay) Indians, presumably a Coahuiltecan-speaking group, are known only from records of San Francisco Vizarron de los Pausanes Mission, near the site of present-day La Unión in northeastern Coahuila, a mission which they entered in 1737 along with the Pausane and Piguique Indians. Since the Pausanes and Piguiques were brought there from the Texas coastal plain (between the Nueces and San Antonio rivers), it seems likely that the Tinapihuayas also came from the same area.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). J. A. Morfi, Viaje de indios y diario del Nuevo México (Mexico City: Bibliofilo Mexicanos, 1935). Manuel Orozco y Berra, Geografía de las lenguas y carta etnográfica de México (Mexico City: J. M. Andrade y F. Escalante, 1864). Esteban L. Portillo, Catecismo geográfico, político e histórico del estado de Coahuila de Zaragoza (Saltillo: Tip. del Gobierno en Palacio, 1897). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940).

Thomas N. Campbell

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas N. Campbell, "TINAPIHUAYA INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmt49), accessed July 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.