Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

TIOPANE INDIANS

TIOPANE INDIANS. The Tiopane (Sayupane) Indians appear to have lived between San Antonio and the coast during the first half of the eighteenth century, but their range cannot be more precisely determined. Perhaps the most significant clue is provided by a contemporary statement that the Tiopanes were among the Indian groups that served as a buffer between Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga Mission (near present Goliad) and the Apaches to the west and northwest. This suggests that the Tiopane Indians lived along the San Antonio River in the general vicinity of present Karnes County. Although the published records are not entirely clear, the Tiopanes seem to have been represented at two of the San Antonio missions-Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña and San José y San Miguel de Aguayo. Their linguistic affiliation remains in doubt. J. R. Swanton thought that the Tiopanes were either Coahuiltecan or Karankawan in language. If their range as suggested above is accurate, it seems more likely that they were Coahuiltecan. The name of the Tiopane Indians is so similar to that of the Tiopines that these two groups have sometimes been confused. In fact, some writers have suggested that the two names represent the same people.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Herbert Eugene Bolton, Texas in the Middle Eighteenth Century (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1915; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1970). Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940).

Thomas N. Campbell

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas N. Campbell, "TIOPANE INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmt51), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.