BRYCE BUILDING. The Bryce Building, at 909 Throckmorton Street in Fort Worth, a small five-sided brick office building, was built in 1910 by William J. Bryce. The two-story, 2,500-square-foot structure employs an adaptation of Classical Revival style. It conforms to the shape of its site, wedged in the shadow of adjacent taller structures. Three of the five façades have decorative embellishments, while the north and east sides face other buildings and have little ornamentation. The exterior brick, undoubtedly furnished by Bryce's Denton Press Brick Company, is hard fired with iron ore. An incised panel of cast stone, with the inscription "Bryce Building" in Roman style letters is positioned below the copper cornice and cast-stone coping. The second-story bay above the entry is composed of multipaned panels that serve as doors to the small balcony, which rests on stone consoles. The building's southeast corner is truncated at the first story to enable vehicles to make the narrow turn. Offices of the Bryce Building Company and its subsidiaries occupied the first floor; the second floor was leased out.
William Bryce served the city as builder, civic leader, and mayor from 1927 to 1935. His work as contractor for Camp Bowie, Tarrant County (1917), a major World War I training facility, earned him an army commendation. He and Marshall R. Sanguinet were builder and architect for many prominent commercial buildings and residences, including Bryce's office and his home, Fairview (1893).
In 1982 a fire severely damaged the interior of the Bryce Building. The structure was abandoned for several months and was eventually "saved from the wrecking ball" and painstakingly restored to its original use as an office building by Joe and Betty Ambrose. An interior stairway and elevator were added to enable a single tenant to occupy the building. The Bryce Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and is a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark.
Janan Cull-Acree, "Hidden Treasure: The Bryce Building," Dallas-Fort Worth Home and Garden, March 1985. Fort Worth Star-Telegram, September 19, 1983. Oliver Knight, Fort Worth, Outpost on the Trinity (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1953). Buckley B. Paddock, History of Texas: Fort Worth and the Texas Northwest Edition (4 vols., Chicago: Lewis, 1922). James Wright Steely, comp., A Catalog of Texas Properties in the National Register of Historic Places (Austin: Texas Historical Commission, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Betty B. Ambrose, "BRYCE BUILDING," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ccb04), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.