MONTE VERDI PLANTATION
MONTE VERDI PLANTATION. Monte Verdi, the antebellum plantation of planter and legislator Julien Sidney Devereux, was in the fertile East Texas Redlands near Anadarko and the Angelina River in southwestern Rusk County. It was among the largest plantations in Texas before the Civil War. Devereux moved to Rusk County and began buying land around 1845. The name Monte Verdi, which appears in documents for the first time in 1849, is Italian for "green mountain" and probably derives from the large hill upon which Devereux built the main plantation house. The house, constructed around 1856–57, is a sprawling two-story Greek Revival structure now considered one of the best examples of antebellum architecture in East Texas. The front façade is distinguished by six Doric columns that support a long second-story balcony. On either end of the house are tall, narrow chimneys, one of which is said to have been built with local brick. Devereux apparently had much of the lumber and furnishings shipped from Shreveport, ninety miles away. By 1850 the plantation had seventy-four slaves and produced 120 bales of cotton; it was among the 100 largest producers in Texas at the time. Over the years Devereux purchased additional parcels of land. His will of 1856 listed 10,721 acres and eighty slaves. After the Civil War the family sold the land and the house. By the late 1950s the latter, which had passed through a succession of owners, was in poor condition. In February 1959 it was bought by Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Lowry, who restored it. In 1964 the house was designated a state historical landmark.
Kilgore Daily News, July 16, 1972. Dorman Winfrey, Julien Sidney Devereux and His Monte Verdi Plantation (Waco: Texian Press, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MONTE VERDI PLANTATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ccm02), accessed September 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.