MAGNOLIA HOTEL, SEGUIN
MAGNOLIA HOTEL, SEGUIN. The Magnolia Hotel in Seguin, Guadalupe County, was built in the early 1840s. Joseph F. Johnson bought a two-room log house from James Campbell, made additions, and turned it into a hotel. Johnson sold the hotel in 1846 to Michael Erskine and Jeremiah S. Calvert. Capt. John Coffee (Jack) Hays was married there in 1847. W. S. Ried was the proprietor in the 1850s. The hotel was a popular stopover for passengers traveling through Seguin on the stage. Its cellar was cut out of solid rock and served as a refuge during Indian scares. In the 1930s a section of the hotel became part of an apartment house.
Arwerd Max Moellering, A History of Guadalupe County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "MAGNOLIA HOTEL, SEGUIN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dgm01), accessed November 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.