FLUVANNA MERCANTILE COMPANY
FLUVANNA MERCANTILE COMPANY. The Fluvanna Mercantile Company, a pioneer general store at Fluvanna, Scurry County, sold clothing, fabrics, groceries, hardware, millinery, patent medicines, seeds, and shoes. It also sold quantities of flour, block salt, and other staples. The enterprise was founded in 1915 by D. A. Jones and John A. Stavely, who first settled in dugout homes after they arrived in the area just after 1900. The Jones and Stavely families helped to build the community's first Presbyterian church, a school, and a bank. Original shareholders included J. E. Park, S. P. Smith, and W. R. Craft. Jones was the firm's first president, and Stavely was vice president. The company freighted in its stock on the Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific Railway, which also shipped cattle, and received flour and feed by rail from Sherman. After the tracks were removed in 1942, supplies were delivered by truck. During the Great Depression the company reverted to barter, allowing local people to trade cream and eggs for store-bought goods. In 1958 the owners sold the firm to J. D. Patterson, who renamed it the Patterson General Store and took up residence on the store's balcony. Its third owner, Clyde A. Smith, who bought the enterprise in 1966, restored its original name, converted it to a grocery store, and with his family also lived in the building. In the 1990s the store continued in operation. Examples of merchandise sold there in frontier days are on display at the Texas Museum in Canyon. An official Texas historical marker was placed at the site in 1970.
Charles Anderson, Reflections: An Album of West Texas History (Snyder, Texas: Snyder Publishing Company,, 1990). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "FLUVANNA MERCANTILE COMPANY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dhfks), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.