CONSOLIDATED VULTEE AIRCRAFT CORPORATION
CONSOLIDATED VULTEE AIRCRAFT CORPORATION. Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation was formed by a merger of Consolidated Aircraft Corporation, founded by Reuben H. Fleet in 1923 in Buffalo, New York, and Vultee Aircraft, a California airplane builder. In Texas it operated a mile-long facility, known locally as the Bomber Plant, built in 1942 on 563 acres on the west side of what is now Carswell Air Force Baseqv at Fort Worth. The company used the site to fulfill contracts for planes it had no room to build at its San Diego factory and produced more than 3,000 B-24s, as well as C-87 cargo planes there. The Fort Worth plant, one of five factories including ones at Tulsa, Willow Run (Michigan), Dallas, and San Diego, was later used for production of F-16 fighter planes. At one time the Fort Worth plant employed up to 38,000 workers, including women, many of whom came from small towns like Cleburne, Decatur, and Denton. The company became part of General Dynamics Corporation's Convair division in 1954. During the war the firm, which began making trainers and seaplanes and commercial passenger and cargo planes, produced more B-24 Liberator bombers and PBY Catalina patrol bombers than any other United States corporation.
Jacob Goodwin, Brotherhood of Arms: General Dynamics and the Business of Defending America (New York: Times Books, 1985). Roger W. Lotchin, Fortress California, 1910–1961: From Warfare to Welfare (New York: Oxford University Press, 1992).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "CONSOLIDATED VULTEE AIRCRAFT CORPORATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dlc05), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.