DICKSON GUN PLANT
DICKSON GUN PLANT. The Dickson Gun Plant, operated during World War II by the Hughes Tool Company of Houston, produced centrifugally cast gun tubes of various calibers. The plant occupied 124 acres on the north shore of Buffalo Bayou and was constructed between March 1 and December 20, 1942, at a cost of $28,779,133. Operation ended on August 14, 1945, when the chief of artillery production for the United States Army ordered the plant's general manager, John Teer, to stop production. All 1,350 employees were absorbed by the main plant of Hughes Tool Company, which had been seized by the government on September 6, 1944. The army relinquished control on August 29, 1945.
Houston Post, December 18, 1942, August 14, 1945.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DICKSON GUN PLANT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dmd01), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.