Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

AUSTIN RAMBLER

AUSTIN RAMBLER. The Austin Rambler, a weekly newspaper published in Austin by George W. Morris,qv first appeared in March 1841. After only four or five issues the paper was discontinued, but it was revived and appeared again on September 28, 1858, with William Carleton as editor and publisher. According to family records, Carleton moved the paper to Lockhart in 1859 and continued it there for a year before ill health forced him to discontinue publication.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Mary Glasscock Frazier, Texas Newspapers during the Republic (March 2, 1836-February 19, 1846) (M. Journ. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"AUSTIN RAMBLER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eeael), accessed July 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.