BRAZORIA TEXAS REPUBLICAN
BRAZORIA TEXAS REPUBLICAN. The Brazoria Texas Republican, a weekly newspaper, began publication on July 5, 1834. Franklin C. Gray and A. J. Harris were publishers until Harris retired in December 1834. The paper began as a three-column, four-page sheet but changed to five columns by November 14, 1835. Publication probably ceased in March 1836 with the Mexican attack. According to some sources, Gray was accused of trying to effect the escape of Antonio López de Santa Anna after San Jacinto, and this accusation destroyed the paper's influence.
James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975). Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Mary Glasscock Frazier, Texas Newspapers during the Republic (March 2, 1836-February 19, 1846) (M.Journ. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BRAZORIA TEXAS REPUBLICAN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eebwt), accessed November 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.