Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

COLORADO GAZETTE AND ADVERTISER

COLORADO GAZETTE AND ADVERTISER. The Colorado Gazette and Advertiser, successor to the Matagorda Bulletin, was a four-column, four-page weekly newspaper published in Matagorda from May 1839 until sometime in 1843. The paper was published by James Attwell and originally edited by W. Donaldson, previously editor of the Matagorda Bulletin. In 1840 William Douglas Wallach became owner and editor and Attwell, who was later publisher of the Matagorda Weekly Despatch, continued as both printer and publisher. The paper had agents throughout Texas. Apparently there was little political rivalry between the Gazette and other contemporary Texas papers, though the paper seems to have leaned toward the policies of Sam Houston. A partial run of the paper is housed at the Texas State Library.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"COLORADO GAZETTE AND ADVERTISER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eec04), accessed July 14, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.