COLORADO TRIBUNE. The Colorado Tribune, earlier known as the Colorado Herald, was a weekly newspaper in Matagorda, which was at that time the Matagorda county seat. James Wilmer Dallam began the Herald in the summer of 1846, and it probably ran until at least early 1847. By August 1847 Dallam was planning to stop publishing the Herald and move his office to the new town of Indian Point, where he intended to publish a paper printed in English and German and called the Emigrant. However, after he died suddenly that month of yellow fever, Edward F. Gilbert bought the press and renamed the newspaper the Colorado Tribune. This paper, also a weekly, supported Zachary Taylor for president in 1848. It was put up for sale by Gilbert in late 1853. The Colorado Tribune continued to publish until at least 1854 and possibly later.
Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "COLORADO TRIBUNE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eec19), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.