Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

COLUMBIA PLANTER

COLUMBIA PLANTER. The Planter, probably a successor to the Columbia Planter's Gazette and possibly the same paper, was published at Columbia between June 1843 and March 1845, when the paper was moved to Brazoria. It ceased publication sometime in 1846. Matthew Hopkins, one of the early editors, wrote and published in the paper a serial novel, Marianna and Her Wrongs. The five-column, four-page paper with a four-dollar subscription rate was published weekly on Saturdays. It included little political comment and much promotion of agriculture; it opened its office to meetings of agricultural associations.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). John Melton Wallace, Gaceta to Gazette: A Checklist of Texas Newspapers, 1813–1846 (Austin: University of Texas Department of Journalism, 1966). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"COLUMBIA PLANTER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eecfv), accessed November 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.