FRONTIER ECHO. The Frontier Echo, a newspaper that followed cattlemen as they advanced the ranching frontier of West Texas, was first issued in Jacksboro on June 30, 1875, with R. Chandler as publisher and H. H. McConnell as editor. George W. Robson, a former sea captain, bought the Echo in December 1875 and with advance of the cattle frontier moved the plant to Fort Griffin, where, on January 4, 1879, it appeared as the Fort Griffin Echo. The paper prospered at Fort Griffin for three years, but by 1882 the frontier had again moved west. After a period of nonpublication during the illness of the editor, it reappeared in Albany on January 6, 1883, as the Albany Echo.After about a year it was merged with the Albany Star to become the Albany News, which has retained the files of the early papers.
William Curry Holden, Alkali Trails, or Social and Economic Movements of the Texas Frontier, 1846–1900 (Dallas: Southwest, 1930). William Curry Holden, "Frontier Journalism in West Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 32 (January 1929).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FRONTIER ECHO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eef06), accessed July 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.