GALVESTON TEXAS TIMES
GALVESTON TEXAS TIMES. The Texas Times, successor to the San Luis Advocate, was published weekly in Galveston by David Davis and Ferdinand Pinckard, beginning in 1841. Pinckard hoped to produce a national newspaper independent in politics and had agents in New Orleans, Vicksburg, and Lexington, Kentucky. "Moses Austin's Journal" ran through a series of issues. Pinckard moved to Yucatán, and on March 11, 1843, George H. French and G. L. Hamlin took over the paper. It was published as late as April 22, 1843. The May 16, 1843, issue of the triweekly edition, which had been published since late 1842, informed those who had paid in advance that they would receive the Telegraph in place of the Texas Times.
Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Mary Glasscock Frazier, Texas Newspapers during the Republic (March 2, 1836-February 19, 1846) (M. Journ. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Winifred Gregory, American Newspapers, 1821–1936: A Union List of Files Available in the United States and Canada (New York: Wilson, 1937). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). Lota M. Spell, "Samuel Bangs: The First Printer in Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 35 (April 1932). John Melton Wallace, Gaceta to Gazette: A Checklist of Texas Newspapers, 1813–1846 (Austin: University of Texas Department of Journalism, 1966). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."GALVESTON TEXAS TIMES," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eegmk), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.