Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

GALVESTON COMMERCIAL INTELLIGENCER

GALVESTON COMMERCIAL INTELLIGENCER. The Commercial Intelligencer, said to be the first Galveston newspaper, was published from the late spring or early summer of 1838 until late 1839 or early 1840. John S. Evans edited the paper. According to some sources, James S. Jones traveled to Galveston with a Niles and Company press to establish the paper, which promoted the election of Moseley Baker. Baker initially concealed his connection with the paper, which appeared under the heading "Published weekly by Samuel Bangs for the proprietors." Evans became proprietor as well as editor on November 24, 1838. A copy of the issue of July 27, 1838, is in the Rosenberg Library at Galveston. The paper was a weekly with a subscription rate of five dollars a year.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). Ben C. Stuart, "Hamilton Stuart: Pioneer Editor," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 21 (April 1918). John Melton Wallace, Gaceta to Gazette: A Checklist of Texas Newspapers, 1813–1846 (Austin: University of Texas Department of Journalism, 1966). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"GALVESTON COMMERCIAL INTELLIGENCER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eegwl), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.