HOUSTON HOUSTONIAN. The Houston Houstonian, published both as a tri-weekly and as a weekly, was probably printed at Houston by the Houstonian Press beginning in 1840 and continuing until May 1843. Subscription rates were ten dollars annually for the tri-weekly and five dollars for the weekly. The prospectus for the paper listed D. E. and John N. O. Smith as publishers, Joshua Burr as owner, and Joseph Baker as editor. The paper proposed to be an organ of general information, with space devoted to politics, local and foreign news, literature, agriculture, commerce, and exchanges from all parts of the republic, as well as reports of the acts of Congress. The Houstonian Press printed handbills, proclamations, and executive messages for the government and received payment from the contingent fund. In May 1843 S. E. Powers was listed as editor, publisher, and proprietor. Another paper of this title was published weekly at Houston by Nat Terence from January 13, 1934, until at least 1954.
Ethel Mary Franklin, "Joseph Baker," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 36 (October 1932). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). Amelia W. Williams and Eugene C. Barker, eds., The Writings of Sam Houston, 1813–1863 (8 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1938–43; rpt., Austin and New York: Pemberton Press, 1970). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HOUSTON HOUSTONIAN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eeh07), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.