HERALD. In 1892 L. L. Campbell began publishing the Sunday School Herald, a weekly, in Austin. This publication ceased in December and was succeeded by the Herald, which appeared until about 1920, published by the Publication Board of the General Convention of Texas. Among the holdings of the University of Texas at Austin is a run of this publication from 1892 to 1919. Like denominational newspapers in other states, the Herald was financed by subscriptions and contributions from local Baptist congregations. The convention, like most black Baptist organizations of its type, struggled constantly during its formative years to raise enough money to maintain the paper, and during the span of time in which the Herald was published its appearance was intermittent. The convention finally stopped publishing the paper when it could no longer raise the money to continue. The Herald carried announcements of church activities as well as articles pertaining to church policy. As the organ of the convention it sometimes found itself in the midst of controversy. It probably never achieved a very wide circulation but did contribute to the development of black journalism in Texas.
Alwyn Barr, Black Texans: A History of Negroes in Texas, 1528–1971 (Austin: Jenkins, 1973). William Edward Montgomery, Negro Churches in the South, 1865–1915 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas at Austin, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William E. Montgomery, "HERALD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eehgv), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.