LA GRANGE FAR WEST
LA GRANGE FAR WEST. The Far West, successor to the La Grange Intelligencer, began publication on February 13, 1847, and appeared at least through May 22, 1847, when a prospectus indicated no idea of discontinuing the paper. J. Austin Martin was editor, and William G. Webb was associated with the paper, possibly as publisher. A six-column, six-page paper, the Far West resembled the Intelligencer in content but cut its subscription rate to $3.00 annually. Martin stated on May 22, 1847, that his chief objective was promotion of agricultural interests in the area.
Julia Lee Sinks, "Editors and Newspapers of Fayette County," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (July 1897). Leonie L. Weyand, Early History of Fayette County, 1822–1865 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1932). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LA GRANGE FAR WEST," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eelaq), accessed March 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.