MATAGORDA GAZETTE. The Matagorda Gazette was a weekly but irregularly published newspaper begun sometime around July 1858 in Matagorda, which was at that time the Matagorda county seat. According to Texas Newspapers, 1813–1939 (1941), the Gazette ran until 1898. The paper was initially edited by E. J. Lipsey and owned by Galen Hodges; in 1859 Lipsey bought out Hodges's interest. In March 1861 an Austin paper noted that the Matagorda Gazette, then edited by Swope and Lewis, advocated states' rights.
Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "MATAGORDA GAZETTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eem09), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.