PILOT POINT POST-SIGNAL
PILOT POINT POST-SIGNAL. The forerunner of the Pilot Point Post-Signal, the oldest continuously published newspaper in Denton County, was established in 1878 in Pilot Point, Texas. Pilot Point was a poor prospect for a newspaper because three newspapers, the Herald, the Citizen, and the Democrat, had already failed in the city's short history. In spite of this, on August 31, 1878, David Jesse Moffitt and James Taliaferro Jones published the first issue of the Pilot Point Post. In its early days the Post supported the Democratic party and fought Pilot Point's frontier lawlessness. Its slogan was "Upon honest and economical legislation and purity of the ballot box depends our national prosperity." By the time the partnership between Moffitt and Jones dissolved in the mid-1880s, the paper was known as the Denton County Post. After Jones retired, Moffitt formed a new partnership with H. D. Caldwell, publisher of the Pilot Point Mirror, established in 1886. The Post-Mirror, as the new newspaper was called, published its first issue on February 11, 1888. This partnership lasted until 1890, when Moffitt became the paper's sole owner. Moffitt formed his third partnership in November 1898 with J. L. Harper, who had founded the Pilot Point Signal in 1897. In 1900 the paper was known as the Pilot Point Post-Signal and was owned by D. J. Moffitt and W. W. Thomas. By 1908 the publishers were listed as D. J. Moffitt and sons. The name remained the same for the rest of the paper's history, but the owners and the location of the printing press changed many times. It was published in Pilot Point until about 1964, when the press was moved to Sanger. In 1974 the paper was purchased by David and Pam Lewis, and the press was moved back to Pilot Point. In 1991 the paper was being published weekly and had a circulation of 2,000.
Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "PILOT POINT POST-SIGNAL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eep08), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.