Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

SINGLE STAR

SINGLE STAR. The Single Star, a Brazoria newspaper, was published in November 1837, according to a notice in the Telegraph and Texas Register. The weekly was published, according to one source, by Messrs. Gibson and Washington; the former was possibly Fenton M. Gibson, a Brazoria lawyer. In January 1841 Eli Harris of Providence, Louisiana, wrote Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar that he had been a captain under James Longqv, was a printer, and had carried a printing press to Nacogdoches in 1819 and established the "Star, the Single Star now the emblem of your republic." Harris probably referred to some symbol used in the Nacogdoches Texas Republican.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Charles Adams Gulick, Jr., Harriet Smither, et al., eds., The Papers of Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (6 vols., Austin: Texas State Library, 1920–27; rpt., Austin: Pemberton Press, 1968). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). John Melton Wallace, Gaceta to Gazette: A Checklist of Texas Newspapers, 1813–1846 (Austin: University of Texas Department of Journalism, 1966). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"SINGLE STAR," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ees09), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.