TEXAS RANGER AND BRAZOS GUARD
TEXAS RANGER AND BRAZOS GUARD. The Texas Ranger and Brazos Guard, also known as the Lone Star and Texas Ranger and the Lone Star Ranger, was published weekly by Joseph Lancaster to promote navigation on the Brazos River. Lancaster, originally from England, moved to Texas in 1836 and served with the Texas Rangersqv, then spent six years in Mississippi. He founded the paper at Washington-on-the-Brazos in 1849 and published until 1852, when the newspaper office burned, at which time he considered moving to Austin. After acquiring the press of the Semi-Weekly Star, he resumed publication in 1853 as the Lone Star and Texas Ranger; in the late 1850s he moved the press between Washington-on-the-Brazos and Brenham. From 1857 to 1859 the paper appeared simultaneously in Brenham, Chappell Hill, Independence, and Navasota. Lancaster ceased publication around 1863; beginning in 1872 the paper was continued in Austin by the Lone Star Ranger.
Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "TEXAS RANGER AND BRAZOS GUARD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eet34), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.