BELTON RAILROAD. The Belton Railroad Company was chartered on April 14, 1960. The capital was $50,000, and the business office was at Belton. Members of the first board of directors included C. V. Griggs, Fred Guffy, Glen H. Jones, V. R. Means, and Roy Sanderford. In February 1961 the company purchased about seven miles of railroad between Smith and Belton from the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Company (Katy), and the Belton began operation on June 1, 1961. This line had originally been built by the Katy in 1882. Fred H. Guffy was president of the company, and the Guffy family controlled the majority of the stock. In 1963 the Belton owned one locomotive and two cars and handled $36,896 in freight. By 1972 the company had two locomotives and one freight car, but earnings were down to $19,582. On June 3, 1991, certain assets of the Belton were sold to the Georgetown Railroad Company, and in 1993 the line continued operation as the Belton Subdivision of the Georgetown. Fred Guffy, Jr., retained rights to the Belton name as well as the station and other property located west of Interstate Highway 35 in Belton.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "BELTON RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqb08), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.