BOIS D'ARC AND SOUTHERN RAILWAY
BOIS D'ARC AND SOUTHERN RAILWAY. The Bois d'Arc and Southern Railway was constructed in the mid-1920s by the East Texas Road and Gravel Company in order to exploit the gravel deposits in Kaufman County. The line, considered a tram road at first, ran seven miles between Bois d'Arc station on the Texas and New Orleans line in Dallas County and the Byron station in Kaufman County. The gravel company chartered the road on July 9, 1934. The capital was $10,000, and the business office was located at Randol, two miles south of Bois D'Arc in Kaufman County. Members of the first board of directors included Edmund P. Gaines, Jr., J. Fred Schoellkopf, Jr., Wilson Schoellkopf, G. O. Moore, G. A. Nettleton, Hugo Schoellkopf, and E. E. Newcomer, all from Dallas. In 1935 the line was designated a common carrier by the Railroad Commission. This decision was met with bitter protest from large Texas railroads on the grounds that it would open a legal door through which other Texas gravel companies could earn a division of rates for their freight. After a lengthy legal dispute a compromise was reached in 1938 whereby the Bois d'Arc and Southern was recognized as a common carrier on intrastate traffic. The road was abandoned in 1946.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Howard Atkins, "BOIS D'ARC AND SOUTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqb10), accessed April 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.