CENTRAL AND MONTGOMERY RAILWAY
CENTRAL AND MONTGOMERY RAILWAY. The Central and Montgomery Railway Company was chartered on December 31, 1877. The track was planned to begin at some point on the Houston and Texas Central Railway between Navasota and Courtney in Grimes County and extend to Montgomery, Montgomery County, in the timber belt of East Texas-a distance of twenty-five miles. The initial capital was $150,000, and the principal place of business was Plantersville, Grimes County. The members of the first board of directors were G. Jordan, F. A. Hyatt, F. A. Rice, and William D. Cleveland, all of Houston; Thomas W. Blake and Jack Baker, both of Plantersville; James H. Price and J. E. McCombe, both of Montgomery; and David White, of White Hall in Grimes County. In 1878 the railroad built twenty-seven miles of track, from Navasota to Montgomery, and on September 2, 1882, George Sealyqv bought the road and conveyed it to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company. However, due to an adverse court decision regarding the legality of the original sale, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe reacquired the Central and Montgomery at a sheriff's sale in 1887.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.S. G. Reed, "CENTRAL AND MONTGOMERY RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqc04), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.