CHICAGO, TEXAS AND MEXICAN CENTRAL RAILWAY
CHICAGO, TEXAS AND MEXICAN CENTRAL RAILWAY. The Chicago, Texas and Mexican Central Railway Company was chartered on September 16, 1880, to acquire the moribund Dallas, Cleburne and Rio Grande Railway. The DC&RG had completed fifty-three miles of narrow-gauge track between Dallas and Cleburne in 1879. In order to collect a promised bonus, the company ran one freight and one passenger train over the line, but service was then abandoned. At this time a number of prominent Dallas businessmen, including Alexander Sanger, J. B. Simpson, and A. T. Hardie, became involved in the project. These men secured investments from northern businessmen and a bonus of $50,000 to replace the narrow-gauge line with a standard-gauge road. The line would connect Dallas with the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe track at Cleburne. A new charter was taken out on September 16, 1880, under the name Chicago, Texas and Mexican Central Railway Company. The planned railroad was to connect Dallas with the Rio Grande in Kinney County and with the Red River in Lamar County.
The capital was $7,500,000, and the principal place of business was Dallas. The members of the first board of directors were Daniel H. Hale, Clinton B. Hale, and Thomas P. Robb, all of Chicago; Dwight K. Tripp of Washington, D. C.; and Simpson, Hardie, Thomas L. Marsalis, L. H. Fitzhugh, and T. A. Wilmans, all of Dallas. The line was acquired by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company in June 1882, and the GC&SF began the conversion to standard gauge the following month.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CHICAGO, TEXAS AND MEXICAN CENTRAL RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqc10), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.