CRYSTAL CITY AND UVALDE RAILROAD
CRYSTAL CITY AND UVALDE RAILROAD. The Crystal City and Uvalde Railroad Company was chartered on April 19, 1909, to connect the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway near Uvalde with Crystal City, a distance of forty-one miles. The capital stock was $50,000. The principal place of business was Crystal City. The members of the first board of directors were A. R. Ponder of Missouri; A. R. Byrd, Sr., and E. J. Buckingham, both of San Antonio; E. R. Byrd and William J. Byrd, Jr., both of Dimmit County; and J. A. Weir and Carl F. Groos, both of Uvalde. Buckingham planned the railroad to reach his land in Zavala County to ship his produce. Area landowners gave a bonus of $345,000. By December 1909 the railroad had completed forty-one miles from Uvalde Junction to Crystal City. The following year two lines were built from Crystal City, one of twelve miles to Carrizo Springs and a forty-two-mile line to Gardendale. In 1911 twenty-six miles was opened from Gardendale to Fowlerton. On April 4, 1912, the railroad was renamed San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad Company.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "CRYSTAL CITY AND UVALDE RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqc22), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.