CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND AND TEXAS RAILWAY
CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND AND TEXAS RAILWAY. The Chicago, Rock Island and Texas Railway, a subsidiary of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific, was chartered on July 15, 1892, to build from a point on the north boundary of Montague County south to Weatherford in Parker County, a distance of seventy-five miles. The road was capitalized at $3 million, and the business office was located at Bowie. Members of the first board of directors included C. H. Thompson of Hennessey, Oklahoma; Joseph T. Harris of Belcher; M. A. Low and W. F. Evans of Topeka, Kansas; and John H. Matthews, Zachary T. Lowrie, and H. F. Weber, all of Bowie.
The Chicago, Rock Island and Texas Railway was organized to extend the Rock Island from Oklahoma into Texas. By 1893 fifty-five miles of track had been constructed from the Oklahoma-Texas state line to Paradise. In 1893 the charter was amended to authorized the line to open a branch to Fort Worth and Dallas. The track was extended thirty-six miles to Fort Worth by 1894, giving the road a total of ninety-one miles in Texas. Earnings for 1895 included $89,638 in passenger revenue, $325,378 in freight revenue, and $253 in other revenue.
Though the line to Weatherford was never built, another amendment authorized the construction of a branch to Graham. The track was completed from Bridgeport to Jacksboro, twenty-eight miles, in 1899, and opened to Graham, twenty-seven miles, in 1903. In 1903 the railroad operated a total of 147 miles of track in Texas, owned 1,150 freight cars, and earned $467,642 in passenger revenue, $930,200 in freight revenue, and $96,668 in other revenue. The Chicago, Rock Island and Texas was merged into the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway on December 1, 1903.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "CHICAGO, ROCK ISLAND AND TEXAS RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqcaw), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.