DALLAS, CLEBURNE AND SOUTHWESTERN RAILWAY
DALLAS, CLEBURNE AND SOUTHWESTERN RAILWAY. The Dallas, Cleburne and Southwestern Railway Company was chartered on June 3, 1902, by W. D. Myers and W. A. McDonald of Cleburne to build fifty miles from Cleburne in Johnson County to Dallas. The capital was $200,000, and the business office was in Cleburne. Members of the first board of directors included A. C. Irvine of Cooke County; J. E. Fesler of Grayson County; Myers and McDonald, both of Johnson County; and C. C. Nelson, B. P. McDonald, and C. H. Osbun, all from Bourbon County, Kentucky. In 1903 investors from Fort Scott, Kansas, had built the only track, a 9.32-mile line from Egan on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas (Katy) in eastern Johnson County to Cleburne, the county seat. The Dallas, Cleburne and Southwestern was operated under contract by the Katy and subsequently leased to that company. However, the lease was terminated during the Katy's receivership, and the Dallas, Cleburne and Southwestern was not included in the reorganized Katy system. A separate receiver was appointed for the Dallas, Cleburne and Southwestern who operated the line from April 1, 1923, through June 30, 1923, at which time service was discontinued. The company was abandoned in 1925. During the railroad's short duration, a depot and terminal facility were located on East Chambers Street in Cleburne. The railroad was sometimes called the "DC" or "Old Betsy."
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Richard Elam, "DALLAS, CLEBURNE AND SOUTHWESTERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqd07), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.